Monday, March 4, 2013

On Monsters.

Sebastian pointed something out that was key on Friday.



Do our opponents still want to continue to operate under the delusion they are fighting the evil gun industry and some faceless “gun lobby” rather than millions of their fellow Americans? Do they still want to suggest we’re all the stereotype of the OFWG? Want to continue to pretend all this is manufactured when most of these people are carrying homemade signs?

If yes, I understand. The illusion is important to you. Because the alternative is that you want to take something very important away from millions of people who care deeply and passionately about it, and that, well, kind of makes you a monster, doesn’t it?
Indeed.

And more on that subject.


Midway is one of NRA’s largest, if not the largest corporate donors, but it’s all done voluntarily by the customers… the one million customers. Like I said, the gun control proponents go through great lengths to convince themselves they aren’t battling millions of real people, but that would make them kind of awful, wouldn’t it?

It’s hard for me to think of any activity or past time people engage in that I find horrible enough that I think it ought to be taken away from them. Even though I will admit I like being able to go out without having to deal with cigarette smoke, as a general principle of freedom I remain opposed to public smoking bans. That’s about the closest thing I can think of. It’s hard to think of anything else that doesn’t involve a tragedy of the commons issue. I guess I just don’t have any Carrie Nation type moral crusading tendencies. I have enough going on managing my own life. I definitely don’t have the time to manage anyone else’s.

This is why we need to be engaged.  We need to reach out, not just to our politicians (you are contacting them right, right?).  But also to friends, family, neighbors, coworkers.

Gun control succeeds in ignorance.    Consider that an Assault Weapons Ban is ridiculous only if you know what it actually means.




No comments: