Thursday, May 6, 2010

Review: "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer

Welp this is one of the things I've been wanting to do and have put off.

However, I finally made progress on my library project (another thing I had been dawdling on) and here we go.

This is one of the many books I picked up from Bill Whittle's recomendation list.

"The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer is the story of a French-German who enlists in the wehrmacht and serves in the Eastern Front.

There's some controversy on the historical accuracy of the book. Lazy Wiki link.

But from reading it nothing struck out as false. The story had none of the bravado or "war stories" or Mary Sue nature of a lot of obviously fictional books.

So it could be fake. I don't know.

What I do know is that the book is historically correct on the battles and events, and it gives an amazing feel of the scope, scale, and nature of the Fall part of the "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".

The Eastern Front doesn't get nearly the coverage of the Western front but it was the dominant part of the European Theater.

If you want a primer on what the mass retreat from the East was like, or how the German war machine was slowly ground down it's recommended.

1 comment:

Keith Anselm said...

If you liked that, check out Dan Carlin's hardcore history piece on the eastern front. It seems quite good (although I don't know the Eastern theater very well).