Saturday, July 7, 2012

Replacement 1911's A month later: Triggers and Grips.

A month ago I had an incident of the unexpected combustion kind.

Because of that I had an empty spot in my full size 1911 slot.

And when looking for a replacement I managed to snag two.


Both weapons have preformed quite well during their trials and have needed only minimal futzing. Though I did have to swap out a couple parts in the Kimber fullsize.

It's gotten to where I've decided to do the minor things necessary to get them fit to my preferences. That being wood grips, flat triggers, and Kimber style ambi safeties. The last is pretty minor functionally. But it is nice to be able to do a lock disasemble without having to remove the grips.

And here's the results. The 4 inch compact for reference.



Not bad. If you have bigger hands, or are thinking about winter carry (think gloves), I'll recommend the flat triggers. Just make sure when you install them to have the trigger travel set screw properly adjusted and like any modification do a full function test, and then a full range test before carrying.

The Kimbers have a solid trigger made by 10-8. Which I've used and rather like.

The Smith uses a skeletal Caspian that I haven't tested yet, but dry firing it, it seems good.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

No comments: